Glenn Gualtieri, principal of Bailey Lake Elementary School in Clarkston, was recently named Michigan Elementary & Middle School Principals Association (MEMSPA) 2018 Outstanding Practicing Principal Award at the association's winter conference in Traverse City, Mich. This award is designed to recognize outstanding principals whose contributions to the profession are exemplary and recognized by their peers and communities alike.
Before a packed hall full of principals from all over Michigan, Mr. Gualtieri was honored for his extraordinary leadership, commitment to his students and faculty, service to our community and his contributions to the overall profession. He was nominated by many of his colleagues at Bailey Lake Elementary School. Mr. Gualtieri has been the principal of Bailey Lake Elementary since 2006 and earned his Bachelor's from Western Michigan University and his Master's degree from Michigan State University.
The focus of the MEMSPA-SET SEG Outstanding Practicing Principal Award is instructional leadership, student relations, staff relations, parent relations, professional growth and civic and community participation. Colleagues highlighted the following in their nomination related to these areas:
- Instructional Leadership - "His leadership has provided a mindset of growth and creativity among staff."
- Student Relations - "Under Glenn's tutelage, students are encouraged to be leaders and accountable for their actions and attitudes; they learn how to make healthy choices and use critical thinking to solve complex problems."
- Staff Relations - "It is apparent in the demeanor and dedication of the staff at Bailey Lake that Glenn has instilled a sense of empowerment, integrity and respect."
- Parent Relations - "Bailey Lake has one of the strongest, most engaged Parent-Teacher Associations in the district, thanks to Glenn's communicative and proactive manner."
- Professional Growth - "Glenn is an enthusiastic learner and leader, and his presence in meetings and professional development sessions fosters engagement among all who surround him."
- Civic and Community Participation - " Both Glenn and his wife Kerri are vigorous supporters of Blessings in a Backpack, a program that raises funds to provide backpacks full of food for students and families in need."
Clarkston Community Schools Superintendent Shawn Ryan said, "Glenn Gualtieri is one of finest principals I have ever had the opportunity to work with. His dedication to the well-being of his students and his uncompromising drive to support learning for all children is second to none. Glenn makes everyone he comes into contact with feel both appreciated and respected; there is a sense of caring in everything that he does. When Glenn works with his students, there is constant attention to building and nurturing a relationship and his ability to be present in the moment shines through. Glenn has been a major force in bringing positive change to Clarkston in academics and Whole Child supports. We are fortunate to have Glenn as part of our leadership team and look to many more years of his service to Clarkston Schools and Bailey Lake Elementary."
About Clarkston Community Schools: Clarkston is a highly regarded school district with an enrollment of more than 7,500 students. We have seven elementary schools (K-5), one middle school serving grades 6-7, one junior high for grades 8-9, and Clarkston High School, which serves students in grades 10-12. We also have an Early Childhood Center serving children ages 3-5, and an alternative high school/community education facility. Each Clarkston Community Schools' student is fully engaged in a globally focused education, from preschool through graduation, that fosters in students a sense of self, perspective, responsibility/ownership, and contribution. The mission of Clarkston Community Schools is to cultivate thinkers, learners and positive contributors to a global society.
Read more Clarkston Community Schools News at www.clarkston.k12.mi.us/news.
Media Contact: Mary Ellen Rowe, Marketing Director (248) 623-5460.