Dear Clarkston Community Schools Parents,
I hope your children are enjoying their early release from school today! I know our half-days can be a disruption in "business as usual" at home, so I wanted to take a second to share with you why we have half-days, and what happens on our campuses after our students leave for the day.
Because education is a lifelong process, our district administrators put considerable energy into providing excellent professional learning opportunities for our staff. Assistant Superintendent of Instructional Services, Nancy Mahoney, heads up our rich and diverse curriculum development, and Assistant Superintendent of Administrative Services, John Lucido, has been deeply engaged with our team on student and school safety education.
Professional development around our district today included:
- CPR training for counseling and support staff
- Non-violent crisis intervention instruction for special education staff
- A review of our role and responsibilities for supporting families who may find themselves in a homeless situation, according to the federal McKinney-Vento Act.
- Collaboration on a new district mission and vision, as part of our five-year Strategic Planning process.
- Screening of the documentary, "Angst: Raising Awareness Around Anxiety" for secondary staff, followed by small group discussions about helping students manage anxiety and stress. (A public screening of the film will be held at CHS next Tuesday, October 23 at 7pm.)
- And, at the elementary level, our educators analyzed assessment practices, reviewed the newly revised Conference Feedback Form aligned with SOAR, our System of Assessment and Reporting, and input assessment data.
As an educator and a parent, I know that the time we invest in staff professional learning is time well spent. Our team is top notch, and we're only getting stronger as we build our collective knowledge and experience in understanding what's best for kids.
Thank you, once again, for partnering with us in the education of your child. Have a great weekend!
Superintendent of Schools