Ready for Kindergarten?
Calling all 2018-2019 Kindergartners and Young Fives!
If your child turns five (5) years old on or before September 1, 2018 (or as late as December 1 with a signed waiver), he/she is eligible to attend our Young Fives Program or Kindergarten for 2018-2019 school year.
- Kindergarten - Full-day Kindergarten is offered at every elementary school.
- Young Fives Program - Young Fives Program is available for students who turn five years old between June 1 and December 1, 2018. Young Fives is a full-day program offered at our elementary sites with the exception of Bailey Lake and North Sashabaw pending K-5 enrollment capacity. Students that attend Young Fives go to their home school the following year for regular Kindergarten.
- Who should attend our Young Fives Program?
- I am unsure about which option is best for my child. Who should I talk to?
- How do I enroll my child?
- Is transportation provided for children enrolled in our Young Fives Program?
- After I choose an option, can I change my mind prior to school starting?
- How does the In-District School of Choice process work?
- What is Kindergarten and Young Fives Orientation?
- If I cannot attend Kindergarten or Young Fives Orientation at my child’s school, what should I do?
- If my student is currently in Young Fives, do I have to re-enroll them for Kindergarten?
If a child turns five years old between June 1– September 1, 2018 (or Dec. 1 with a signed waiver), he/she is eligible to attend Kindergarten or our Young Fives Program. It is Clarkston’s practice that students turning five years old between September 1 and December 1 to attend our Young Fives program to develop:
- Social skills
- Oral language development
- Motor skills
- Attention span
- School readiness
Our Young Fives Program is a full-day program with classes located at our elementary sites. Children who attend our Young Fives Program, attend Kindergarten in their home school the following year.
Enrollment begins February 12, 2018. To ensure attendance at your home school Orientation, please enroll your child by April 13, 2018. Enrollment forms are available online at www.clarkston.k12.mi.us. Click on “Enroll.” Completed enrollment forms and supporting documents must be presented at your scheduled appointment time. Please print and complete enrollment documents and schedule an appointment online to register your child for fall enrollment. Your appointment will take place at our Central Enrollment office located at the Clarkston Schools’ Administration Building, 6389 Clarkston Rd.
Children attending Young Fives at your home school will be provided district transportation. District transportation is provided to children living more than one mile from their home school. Parents will be required to provide transportation for children attending Young Fives outside of their home school attendance area.
Parents may request that their child attend a Clarkston school outside of their home-school attendance area. Parents must complete an “In-District School of Choice Request” and submit it to the Central Enrollment Office. Parents will be notified by August 15 regarding the status of their request. Approvals for School of Choice are based on class size, and transportation is not provided for “In-District School of Choice” students.
Kindergarten and Young Fives Orientations are times for parents to bring their future Kindergarten or Young Fives student to their enrolled school. Parents are expected to attend Orientation with their child after their enrollment process is complete. At Orientation, students spend time with teachers listening to a story, drawing, playing, and getting to know other children. Parents receive information about the school and the Kindergarten or Young Fives day.
Kindergarten Orientation dates (approx. 2 hours during the school day):
Andersonville Elementary - April 27
Bailey Lake Elementary - April 23
Clarkston Elementary - April 19
Independence Elementary - April 24
North Sashabaw Elementary - April 30
Pine Knob Elementary - April 26
Springfield Plains Elementary - April 25
Young Fives Orientation dates (6-7pm):
Andersonville Elementary - May 15
Clarkston Elementary (with North Sashabaw Elementary) - May 16
Independence Elementary - May 9
Pine Knob Elementary (with Bailey Lake Elementary) - May 10
Springfield Plains Elementary - May 1