Meal Payments & Free and Reduced Lunch
- Online Meal Payments "Send Money to School"
- Free & Reduced Price School Meal Application
- Low or Negative Balances
- Summer Meal Program
Prepay for meals online using a credit or debit card at www.SendMoneyToSchool.com. There is a $2.00 fee for each transaction. Parents can access this site to check balances and meal purchases at any time.
Weekly or monthly payments by check are accepted at every school, please make checks payable to: CCS Food Service. The student's name and/or student number is required on the check. If checks are returned by the bank due to insufficient funds, families will be charged $25.00 per occurrence; the negative amount will immediately be applied to the student's meal account.
Complete the Free and Reduced Lunch Application online now at www.LunchApp.com
Applying online is easy with immediate notification if you qualify. All applicants will be notified via mail or you can contact the Clarkston Community Schools Nutrition office at (248) 623-8001. A paper version of the Free and Reduced Lunch Application can be downloaded or obtained from your child's school office.
- Instructions for completing the Free and Reduced Application (Spanish)
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Free and Reduced Lunch program. Note: One application per household.
- If you qualified for a free or reduced-price meal last year, we will use your eligibility for the first 30 operating days of the new school year. A new Free and Reduced Application must be submitted each school year.
- We highly encourage all families to compete the Free and Reduced Lunch Application. Many of the supplemental grants and federal aid our school district receives are based on the total of Free and Reduced Lunch Applications. These funds enhance the educational opportunities for our students.
Low or negative balances
Please note that students with a low or negative balance in their meal account will not go hungry or be sent to the principal's office. Please check your child's account at www.SendMoneyToSchool.com.
Clarkston Community Schools follows the procedures below for students with
NO MONEY to pay for a meal:**
Scenario 1: Student's balance is below $2.00 (there is some money in the account, but not enough to cover the full meal price)
Result: Student will receive a lunch that was ordered that day from the menu.
Scenario 2: Student's balance is negative.
Result: Student will receive a cheese sandwich lunch that includes the sides of vegetable, fruit and milk. This meal will be charged against the student's meal account.
The food service staff will send a note home and/or call the student's parent. Once the negative balance reaches $20, the food service staff will contact the principal's office. Students will continue to receive a meal throughout this process.
Sashabaw Middle School
Scenario 1: Student's balance is below $2.85 (there is some money in the account, but not enough to cover the full meal price)
Result: Student will receive a lunch that was ordered that day from the menu to be charged against the student's meal account. The meal account will go into the negative after it has been debited.
Scenario 2: Student's balance is negative (no money in the account to cover a meal).
Result: Student will be permitted to purchase a meal which will be charged to the student's Meal Magic account.
Clarkston Junior High School, Clarkston High School, Renaissance High School:
Scenario 1: Student's balance does not have enough money to cover the cost of the meal.
Result: Student is offered a serving of fruit, vegetable and milk at no cost.
**Reference: Federal Regulations 2 CFR Part 225, Appendix B Selected Items of Costs, Item #5 addresses "bad debts arising from uncollected accounts, related collection costs, and related legal costs are allowable."
Meal Balance Information
All outstanding meal balances must be paid by May 2018. Please contact your child's school cafeteria for account balances.
If your child has moved out of the district OR has graduated, you have a few options of what to do with any remaining funds in their meal account:
- Reimbursement by check: Email Sherri Summers at firstname.lastname@example.org and request a refund via email, be sure to include your child's name and the address to send the check.
- Transfer funds to another sibling within the Clarkston Community Schools district: Email email@example.com, include the CCS building and name of the sibling who is to receive the funds.
- PayItForward: Any remaining funds in your child's meal account can be donated to a student in need. Simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate what CCS building you would like the funds donated. The funds will be used to assist students that have a financial need.
Low Balance Notifications
If your child's Meal Magic account is $10.00 or below, an automatic email notification will be sent to the email address provided to Clarkston Community Schools by the parent/guardian. Students are also verbally notified at school by the kitchen staff. Email messages are sent to all Clarkston Community School students daily.
Turning Off School Messenger Email Notifications
If you no longer would like to receive email notifications from the Clarkston Community Schools Nutrition Department when your child's account is $10 and below, you can turn the notifications off by going to the School Messenger Contact Manager link here.
Once you have logged on to Contact Manager:
- Click on the Contacts Tab
- Select EDIT next to your child's name
- Uncheck the boxes in the Food Service column next to your phone number(s)
- Make sure to click on SAVE at the bottom of the page and your changes will take effect.
Clarkston Community Schools
Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) Check Policy
When the Clarkston Community Schools (CCS) district receives a check from a student or parent that, when deposited, is returned marked "non-sufficient funds", the CCS Superintendent or his/her designee shall provide an opportunity for the payer to make proper payment or to arrange for a satisfactory payment schedule.
A $25.00 fee will be collected from the payer by the appropriate CCS building administrator to cover administrative and banking fees related to the "NSF" check.
If payment is not received within thirty (30) days, the payment schedule is not adhered to, or the monies do not appear to be collectible, the CCS Board of Education authorizes the CCS Superintendent or his/her designee to remove the fee or charge from the CCS district's Accounts Receivable and to take appropriate action against the student and/or the parents.
Nutritious free meals are available for children and teens 18 and younger at many locations throughout the nation throughout the summer while school is out of session. Visit the USDA website to find summer meals in our community.