Strategic Plan 2019-2025
Clarkston Community Schools creates a learning environment where students, staff, and families are challenged, healthy, engaged, safe, and supported.
Clarkston Community Schools students are well-prepared for a future that excites them, and believe that they can achieve their dreams.
Whole Person Development
We are committed to creating a culture of well-being for all.
Goal 1: We will improve the overall well-being of staff, students and families.
- Address the needs of each person's healthiest self: emotional, physical, environmental and social wellness; and disease prevention.
- Continue successful programs and create and implement new programs to support well-being.
- Communicate current resources and programs clearly to all stakeholders.
Goal 2: We will create learning environments that improve the success and safety for all - intellectually, socially, emotionally, and physically.
- Continue and implement programs and policies to prevent abuse, bullying violence and social exclusion, build social connections and promote positive mental and emotional health.
- Continue and implement programs to identify risks and early indicators of mental, emotional and behavioral needs among youth and to refer youth with such needs to appropriate services.
- Ensure students have access to comprehensive health services, including mental health and counseling services.
Goal 3: We will create and expand school and community partnerships.
- Continue, expand, and create new successful community partnerships to support well-being.
Foundational & Academic Skills
Our students have secure foundational and academic skills that connect them with their world.
Goal 1: We will increase student academic and dispositional skills.
- Empower instructional staff to use best practices, ensuring student growth.
- Implement programs for developing social emotional learning.
- Create curriculum consistency.
Goal 2: We will grow our understanding and appreciation of one another.
- Acknowledgement of cultural relevance will be evident in our practices and resources
Goal 3: We will revise our thinking and learning based upon ongoing reflection and feedback.
- Align our philosophy, practices and use of data.
- Effectively communicate student growth.
We create authentic relationships with students to support their unique interests and abilities through personalized learning experiences.
Goal 1: We will increase ways for students to demonstrate mastery of essential learning.
- Identify essential curriculum.
- Identify what constitutes mastery learning.
- Clarify how students demonstrate mastery.
Goal 2: We will develop meaningful relationships among students, staff, and families.
- Provide opportunities to create connections between staff and students which will support and enhance learning (throughout a child's educational experience).
- Develop connections which will engage families and community to enhance student learning.
- Examine a flexible school day and year to afford students more opportunities to pursue non-academic interests.
Our students are on pathways to a future that excites them.
Goal 1: We will empower students to take ownership of their future.
- Develop a framework for collecting, analyzing and responding to student interest, perception and outlook data.
- Develop staff to respond to student interests.
- Develop student self-efficacy.
Goal 2: We will increase opportunities for students to explore and prepare for their future.
- Develop community partnerships and experiences for all students.
- Continuous development for curriculum integration based on student interests and workplace trends.
- Continuous development for clubs and class offerings based on student interests and workplace trends.
During the 2018-2019 school year, Clarkston Community Schools engaged in the strategic planning process of setting goals, deciding on actions to achieve those goals, and mobilizing the resources needed to take action over the next six years. Our collaborative strategic planning process ultimately produced a roadmap of measurable objectives that the district will use as a foundation for decision-making across our school system through 2025.
This visionary plan focuses on Four Pillars of Excellence: Whole Person Development, Foundational & Academic Skills, Student-Focused Learning, and Future Pathways.
Nancy Mahoney, Assistant Superintendent of Instructional Services