Pre I.B. ELA 10 Syllabus
Pre I.B. ELA 10 A prepares you for the demands of the advanced English Language Arts choices at ClarkstonHigh School: Advanced Placement and the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program.
Course Texts: Each of the titles will be provided for you; however, you are welcome to purchase your own copy. All of the following titles will be used:
1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
2. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
3. Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
4. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
· Folder to keep all handouts and assignments.
· Paper and writing utensil(s)
· Sticky Notes
· A flash drive will come in handy, but it is not required.
· 70% major assignments (Personal Narrative, Socratic Seminars, Literary Analysis Essay, Research Presentation, Free Response Essay)
· 30% minor assignments (Summer Reading, weekly reading assignments, reading quizzes, in-class assignments, etc.)
· The exam will be an AP style multiple choice test.
· The coursework is worth 80% and the exam is worth 20% of the overall trimester grade.
Student Absences and Late Work
· It is your responsibility to seek out make-up work if you are absent.
· For excused absences, you will have the same number of days that you were absent to make up missed assignments, per our school wide policy. This does not include major assignments with more than one week prep time; these are due on or before the assigned day, regardless of prior absence. If a major assignment is due on a day when you are absent, you will be expected to have someone else turn it in for you or email it to me. If all else fails, have an office staff member put it in my mailbox.
· Major assignments (assignments where 5+ days of preparation are used) will be accepted the next day for a reduced grade (the students earned score will drop two letter grades). After that, they will be accepted as an E (0%).
· ALL other assignments will not be accepted late
· Individual presentations may be made up; however, a group presentation may not. Your group will go on without you. An appropriate make-up assignment will be determined by me in these cases if there was a valid and unavoidable reason for your absence.
· We expect all homework assignments to be typed, unless otherwise stated. You should make arrangements to use the computers in the building if you do not have a working computer at home. If you have last-minute printing problems, We will accept an assignment on a thumb drive or via e-mail as a Microsoft Word attachment. You must include a parent note with this. Make sure you save everything!
Rewrites: You may write and rewrite your major papers as often as you like, within the next seven days after the assignment has been returned, until you have achieved a grade you are happy with. The new grade will completely replace the old grade. The only time this option is not allowed is if the original final draft is not an honest reflection of your writing ability. If you choose to rewrite a paper, attach the new draft with track changes to the TOP of the earlier draft(s) and resubmit them together. Rewrites will not be accepted without the original paper attached (unless it was submitted to turnitin.com) and theywill not be accepted the final week of the trimester