Classroom Procedures

Language Arts 9

Mrs. Beer

Mr. Burke

 

 

 

Classroom Rules:

 

Show respect for me, for your peers, and for the classroom. 

Be on time. 

Bring all materials to class daily.

Have a positive attitude.

 

Attendance:

 

Attendance procedures will be followed as stated in the student handbook. 

 

Homework and Assignment Policy:

 

For long range assignments, which we will be working on, an absence does not grant you an extension.  If you miss a day, you are still held to the same deadline.  It is your responsibility to find out what you missed while you were out.  I have made this very easy for you by creating the “Student Work” section of the room.  There you will find a sheet of paper outlining what was done each day and all handouts which are located in the bins underneath.  If you are going to be absent for a vacation or some other reason that you know of ahead of time, you will have to make up your work when you return. 

 

For daily assignments, if you are absent you have the same number of days missed to make up the work.

 

Organization:

 

Each of you will need to keep a folder with all of your work.  Occasionally I make mistakes with grading and the only way to correct any mistake is by showing me your paper with the grade on it.  If you have thrown it away, you cannot do this!

 

 

Guest Teachers:

 

When I am not here, I expect you to be on your BEST behavior.  The substitute teacher will be in charge in my absence.  If a substitute teacher reports you, upon my return, I will have a conference with you and decide on further disciplinary action.

 

Supplies:

 

Everyday you will be expected to bring a pen/pencil, paper, writer’s notebook, assigned reading, and a folder for your papers.  I do not supply pens/pencils. I have colored pencils, markers, glue, and some scissors that you may use as long as these items get put away when you are finished.  I also encourage everyone to bring in a box of Kleenex to contribute to the classroom supply.  This is not a requirement, but it would be appreciated since I cannot supply tissues to 150 kids for an entire year.   

 

Independent Reading:

 

Occasionally you will be given time to do some silent reading.  Be sure to have a book or magazine with you to read.  I am leaving the choice of reading material up to you, but please remember that it should be age appropriate, appropriate for your reading level, and it should be something you are interested in.  Some may choose fiction, some nonfiction, Sports Illustrated, etc.  Reading time is not meant to be torture….it should be enjoyable!

 

Grading:

 

I will be using the following grading scale to compute your grades: A=92.5-100, A-=89.5-92.4, B+=86.5-89.4, B=82.5-86.4, B-=79.5-82.4, C+=76.5-79.4, C=72.5-76.4, C-=69.5-72.4, D+=66.5-69.4, D=62.5-66.4, D-=59.5-62.4, E=59.4-0

Each semester grades will be calculated as follows:  Daily assignments are worth 30% of your final grade and the other 70% of your grade will be comprised of the final assessments for each unit.  

 

 

 

Please have a parent/guardian review the above information and return the signature page to me by _____________________.  This will count as your first grade for the trimester.